When you visit the Netherlands, make sure not only to visit Amsterdam. Why not visit one of our islands? From Amsterdam, it’s only a one hour drive to Den Helder, from where you take the ferry to Texel. This will take about 20 minutes and Tadaaaa…
You have arrived on Texel island! The biggest of the Wadden islands. To me walking around Texel feels a bit like going back in time. Back to the Netherlands in my younger years, when we would visit for the summer and take walks around the dunes and swim in the sea. It’s very calm and quiet. Texel is a good place to escape the hectic city life.
Where to stay on Texel island
A few summers ago I went back with one of my friends to go camping for the weekend. We stayed at Camping Kogerstrand next to the beach. If you want to try something ‘different’ check out Camp Silver and sleep in an airstream. Ever slept in a yurt? This is possible at Texel Yurt.
8 x things to do on Texel
- Try out wave surfing, windsurfing, kitesurfing or sailing at Paal 9, Paal 17, Paal 19.5, Paal 20.
- Have breakfast at Lokaal 16
- Rent a tandem and bike (nerdy) around the island
- Have lunch at the beach at Paal 9
- Go for a walk along the beach or Park Duinen national park through the forest and dunes. If you’re lucky you might see some wild horses.
- Take the boat to Vlieland, the next island, at Paal 33
- Go for a local beer tasting at Texelse Bierbrouwerij
- Climb the lighthouse for a nice view over the island