Imagine Finland during summer, when the trees dance in the sun. Endless space, silence and lots of green. Birds fly around in figures, wild and free. Sleeping in a wooden cottage in the forest, no internet connection, back to basic. Saunas, sunsets and cold water. Into the wild we go.
Wandering in a forest of pine trees, looking for hidden treehouses of the past. The sound of a crackling campfire. The taste of red wine. Talks about travel adventures while the red glow of the sun touches the sky.
Starry nights and sunny days, red cottages, empty beaches, wild flowers and fresh air. Days were spent sunbathing on the porch, listening to dreams from fleetwood mac and getting steamy in the sauna before jumping in the cold water of the lake.
We drove from Oulu to Kokkola and after days spent in the nature, it was time to close off with some Helsinki fun. Ranging from island hopping to Suomenlinna island, having picnics in Esplanade Park, enjoying the sunshine and Finnish cider with laid back seaside vibes. We went for walks around the city, passing design districts, colorful architecture and much more. Then we took the ferry to Lonna island to watch the sunset and dance the night away under the stars.
10 fun things to do in Helsinki on a budget
- Take the ferry to the island fortress Sueomelinna island for only €5
- Wander around the 25 streets of the design district
- Have some Finnish bites at Hietalahti Market Hall
- Find a picnic spot at Esplanade Park
- Have an art adventure that never ends at Rupla cafe & gallery
- Watch the sunset with the locals at Lonna island
- Drink Finnish lempi puolukka cider in the sun
- Rent a SUP board and paddle away at Töölönlahti Bay
- Be adventurous and try the Finnish Salmiakki chocolate liqourish
- Rent a bike and explore the lovely streets of Helsinki